Have I mentioned how much I hate that people can leave “guest reviews” over at fanfiction.net? I blame that website. There is simply NO good reason for the anon. review.
I just got this one regarding Uninvited. I’m not upset that it’s “negative.” It’s not really negative, but–in a lot of ways–this kind of thing frustrates me even more, so you are the victims of my venting–AGAIN. SORRY.
I’m writing this on the off chance that the review writer is reading. Here’s the comment:
:Well s***! I can’t sit thru another Eric torture and r*** by Russell or Sookies mind f*** in fairy to be a breeder. Sorry. I get you say it won’t be the same but I can[not] do it again. I loved this part though. Thanks
Scratching head. The reader/reviewer acknowledged that I had said that things weren’t going to be the same as my other story, but still won’t read on? Does this person think I’m lying?
I’m not a liar! Except for the white lies I tell the hubby. Yes, dinner was great. No, shaving off your beard doesn’t make you look chinless. Absolutely, let’s go out with your work friends; sounds fun!
Just in case the commenter in question–or any others with similar fears–is reading this, let me set things straight!
1. Fact: This story is NOT like Come Back to Me. Yes–some of the “threats” are similar, but the characters’ reactions to those threats haven’t been, nor will they be, the same.
2. Fact: Eric will not be raped by Russell in this series. I don’t know how to say this any more clearly. Yes–Russell wants to capture and torture Eric–with all kinds of abuses. That doesn’t mean he’ll succeed. THIS SERIES DOESN’T CONTAIN RAPE.
3. Fact: Sookie is not going to be “mind fucked” or “body fucked” in Faerie.
4. Fact: The fairies in this story will be very little like the fairies in Come Back to Me—as is evidenced by the changes in casting and the complete difference in the Niall character.
5. Fact: The Un-Series is NOT the Back and Forth Series!
It’s frustrating! This reader is obviously going to stop reading based on wrong guesses about where this story is going based on PAST work I’ve done. And I just don’t get it! Why not just send me a PM that asks me to clarify or sign in so that I can respond and clear stuff up? I’ve offered to give out spoilers to those who need them. And I’m cool with that too. I’ve said many times that I like to know how a story ends up as I’m reading it! Why would I judge others for writing to me to ask for assurance?
Answer? I wouldn’t.
That being said: If the reader believes that this story and the Back and Forth Series are that similar to one another, then the justifiable reason for stopping would be boredom. But I don’t think they are close at all! Maybe 5% of the material is similar…but that’s to be expected–right? I’m working w/ the same characters in the TB universe. Up through season 3 where I picked up the story, I have to keep stuff the same about them. Therefore:
- Russell will always want to be a sadistic bastard.
- Pam will always want to hide her true emotions with snark.
- Eric will always try to deny his feelings–until he can’t, at which point he adapts and moves forward.
- Sookie will always have shit from her past to deal with.
- Bill will be—Bill.
So PLEASE–I beg of you–don’t stop reading based on fears you have about what I MIGHT do (even though I’ve said I WON’T be doing the things you fear). Please just send me a message that I can respond to or sign in so that I can set the record straight.
I ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT READERS. I care what you think and I want to produce things that you want to read. I don’t succeed for everyone. I know that, and I’ve learned to be okay with it. But I hate to lose readers based on inaccurate perceptions.
Sorry for the rant…but I’m still scratching my head….and I’m just sad to be losing a reader for no good reason. 😦